Pages

Monday, November 2, 2009

What It's All About


Colossians 1:15-18

15He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities–all things have been created through Him and for Him. 17He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. 18He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He (Jesus) Himself will come to have first place in everything. (Emphasis and italics added).

Here is the point of it all; the purpose.

HE created it all.

HE is the head of it all.

It is all for HIM… so HE gets the glory.

We, as Christians, like this truth… most of the time. We like to know that Jesus is in charge when we pray. For, who would pray to One who has no power or control to answer. But, what about when we get a “no” answer? Or, what sounds like a busy signal. All of us would love to glorify Christ as the once lame man leaping for joy… but, what about when He calls us to herald His goodness from our pallet, with legs still withered? Can we say with Job, “though He slay me, yet will I trust in him” (Job 13:15). It is counter to our sinful natures and is only possible by the power of the Holy Spirit.

I had occasion recently to wallow in self-pity. By comparison to others I know who have suffered for Christ (or at the very least because Jesus allowed their sufferings), my situation was laughable and will, therefore, remain unmentioned. However, in my insanity of selfishness it became about ME. Why would God allow this to happen to ME? God began to appear smaller—a sure sign of my foolishness. The problem seemed insurmountable; the situation hopeless. God did not appear to care about ME, nor did He honor MY service to Him. What BLASPHEMY! (Thought I would get that out before any of you said it).

I was encouraged by a good friend to read The Knowledge of the Holy by A.W. Tozer. Now, there is no magic in this book, and frankly, my circumstances have not improved at all since reading this book. No, what I got was a reminder (with the use of Scripture) of the immensity, the absolute mind-numbing grandeur, and the majesty of my God; and, the great chasm/gulf between who He is and who I am.

It is in this context, that the words of Colossians 1:15-18 come alive to me… It isn’t about ME. It is NOT about ME. Sure, He loves me. Sure, He cares. Sure, my problems matter. But, they are being orchestrated by a wonderful, mighty, loving, all-wise, eternal, immense, infinite, all-powerful, all-knowing, holy God… to whom I belong. “I am made FOR HIM, BY HIM. HE is BEFORE me.” “In HIM, I CONSIST. And HE is my HEAD”…“That in me HE might have PREEMINANCE.”

May we all learn to rejoice in the glory He gets when we suffer patiently, for Him.


0 comments:

Post a Comment